Jun 27, 2011

Old at Heart

It's not uncommon for me to feel old.  Usually it's because I'm an overly-serious, budget-conscious homebody whose visions of fun involve reading and cooking.  Oh--can I deviate for a second and just tell you that being too serious is a characteristic of my personality type?  Yep.  I read it on Wikipedia.  Anyway, lately I've been feeling older than normal, but yesterday especially.

The directions for the drops I'm taking for my ear infection say to lay on your side and let them soak in for about 10-15 minutes before moving around.  And what better to do while laying on your side than sleep?  I really can't DO anything during this time that would involve moving around, and watching TV or talking to Isaac is near impossible because not only is the ear facing upward the one full of drops, it's also the one that we're pretty sure I ruptured, which means I hear static in it now 24/7.  Anyway, I'm supposed to take one set of these drops twice a day and the other as needed.  The "as needed" drops are the ones that numb my ear and are recommended to be used every 4-6 hours.  Needless to say, I've been getting plenty of unintentional naps in.

On top of that, I've started a little herb garden.  Meg mailed me some seeds as a surprise in the mail when we first moved here because she'd moved away from home the year before and found growing things to be somewhat therapeutic.  She started me out with jalapenos and cilantro--two of her favorite things.  I didn't have the basic necessities to grow things though, and so I went to Target and did something that I NEVER thought I would do.  I paid for dirt.  Yes, DIRT.

It was $6 plus tax.

Oh my.  Until moving to Michigan, this was equivalent with paying for air.

In addition to my naps and herbs, I've also started to walk extremely slowly and carefully due to my port--kind of like how older people move with their walkers and canes.  It's not that it's painful, it's just weird to have something permanently on your chest.  There is a cord running from the port up and over my collarbone as well, and that's probably the most awkward part of it.  Again, it's not painful per se, it's just a really weird sensation.

I'd try and describe it for you.  The port itself is actually anchored on my left pectoral (right under the greenish bruise).  When I raise my left arm, I can actually feel the port moving WITH MY PEC off toward the side of my body.  I can also feel my skin stretching tight over it as well.  Yep.  Awkward.  In addition to the port shifting with my movements, the cord does as well; sliding back and forth over about a 1/2" section of my collarbone.  The "pain" from the pressure of the cord on my clavicle is similar to a ponytail headache.  That's the best way I can describe it.  I keep wanting to reach over and pull the cord off--which I can't do because it's IN my body--because my mind tells me that if I did, it would alleviate the discomfort.  Sometimes I think I can feel the cord shifting inside my body too, like a little worm wiggling around.  That was mostly after the surgery though; it seems to be pretty well settled in there now.

Yeah.  Just thinking about it sometimes makes me a little uncomfortable...

The kicker to my "old" formula, is that I feel extremely out of shape now.  Yesterday I asked Isaac if he would be sweet enough to walk around outside with me because I just miss the sun and the fresh air and moving around.  He agreed, and we set off for our walk around the complex around 8pm.  We walked at a moderate pace, and I kid you not, when we got back, I was ready for a nap.  I felt so incredibly pathetic.

Three months ago, I could run a couple miles without blinking.  I could throw around 35-40 lb. kettlebells and not even feel that winded.  I would get up religiously at 4:30am four to five days a week to go workout simply because I love to be active and I enjoy the rush from it.  And now, I'm tired after walking less than a mile?  Are you kidding me?

As you might guess, I felt like a big pile of poo.  Isaac did his best to comfort me, reminding me that I'm still not 100%, I'm recovering from surgery, and that I haven't worked out faithfully so of course my body is regressing.  The first two I was okay with.  The last makes me feel like a slacker.  In my delirious desire to redeem my pre-michigan fitness level, I asked if I could go to the gym.  He smiled at me and said sure, I could go tonight if I wanted.  And then I realized why he was smiling.

I avoid the weight area at our gym because it's filled with macho-men on steroids who stare at themselves in the mirror and look at you like a fresh-cooked meal if you walk on two legs and don't have a penis.  Instead, I swim.  ...But I can't swim with an ear infection.  Turd.

Needless to say, I'll continue to work my green thumb, spend an excessive amount of time napping, and huff and puff like a life-long smoker after walking around the block until my ear is fixed.  And then I think I'll be investing in ear plugs to avoid this situation in the future.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAAHA I'm glad your herb garden is flourishing! My collection of plants is starting to get ridiculous:) You are not an old lady, you are awesome. Oh, and about the ear plugs, you should get a nose plug that matches!
    Love,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not out of shape, that stupid cancer is making you tired. This too shall pass! I love your new garden. I have herbs on my patio too! FYI...what I've learned is cilantro doesn't like a lot of water. It is so good to eat something that you yourself grows. There's a lot of pride when using it to cook! I hope your ear continues to improve. Enjoy your walks with Issac. We also took drives so I could get out of the house, smell fresh air, and stay away from people's germs. It often ended up in the drive thru somewhere getting ice cream or a pop.

    ReplyDelete