Nov 16, 2011

Didn't See This Coming

I'm sorry that I've not written for a while now.

About a week ago, my computer screen just went black and never revived.  I tried plugging it in, not plugging it in.  I restarted it over ten times.  I did a soft system reset.  I pulled the battery out and put it back in.  I did everything I could think of.

It just stared back at me with a black screen.

Bummer.

I called Best Buy and talked with one of the Geeks.  He said that most likely, it was either my motherboard, graphics card, or my screen just went out.  No matter what, it sounded like the repairs would be costly.  Costly enough that it'd probably just be cheaper to get a new laptop.

Consequently, Isaac and I spent the next several days pricing computers because I've been working on a lot of marketing strategies for my hair stuff out here and needed to get the ball rolling on those.  The Geeks told us that the average life for a PC laptop ranges from two to three years.

As we were looking at the prices, we started to realize that really, you pay quite a bit for those few short years of laptop service.  Even if we went with the cheapest laptop available, it was $250, plus $100 for Microsoft Office, $270 for two years of black tie protection, another $100 for a data transfer from my computer to the new one.... that adds up to a minimum of $720.  And then there's tax.  Out here it's 6%, so that brings us to $763.

And then in another two to three years, it'll be another $763, plus the cost of inflation.

So we started checking out Macs.

I'll be honest, I've been against them for a while--mostly because they seem like the UGGs of the digital world.  However, I've talked to several Mac owners, and many of them have had their computer for over six years.  Some for over ten.

When we talked to the Mac guy, he said that people don't necessarily upgrade their Macs because they're having problems, but more often than not, because they simply want the latest and greatest.

I just got my first ever "cool phone."  I'll probably keep it until it breaths it last.  The same will likely happen with my laptop.  I'm not a "got to have the coolest, newest thing" type of chick.  Unless it's makeup.  Or something to do with hair.

Anyway, in the end, we decided to purchase a MacBook Pro.  It's very likely that I'll have it until it dies, and if the people that I've talked to are telling the truth, that won't be for quite a while.  It was a little bit more of an investment up front, but we did get a free $50 sleeve, the apple care for almost $100 cheaper because Isaac is a student, and $60 off the computer.

Not too shabby.

Now we'll see if I can become adept at using this thing before the next millennium.

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll come to love it! I just got my new one since my other one died three years ago. They work great! Hope you're able to get used to it quickly! :) Wondering how you've been?

    ReplyDelete