Sep 20, 2012

"Encouragement"

Truth be told, I think I've gotten lazy.  Either that, or there is no definitive end to when my body will be "recovered" from chemotherapy.  Some days I think it's a mix of both.

Regardless, I'd like to try and push myself out of this rut that I'm in.

There are a lot of days where all I want to do is the bare minimum--which is NOT my style.  I'm usually at the front of the pack, trying to accomplish far more than has been asked of me.  I've been an over-achiever since birth.  And yet I find myself extremely un-motivated to do anything.  To get involved with anything (or anyone).  To go to work.  To hit the gym.  To clean.  To do laundry.  To cook.  To do anything at all.  I feel like I'm living on repeat from day to day.

I was talking with Lindsey the other day and we were discussing how we both really want to put more effort into getting back into shape.  So we're trying to figure out how to motivate each other--even with over 700 miles in between us.  We exchanged lists of what resources we have access to, and then based on the list, we created challenges for each other.

Her challenge to me was this:

  1. Work out at least 3 days a week.
  2. 45 minutes of cardio
  3. 2 sets of: jumping jacks, full-body planks, mountain climbers, squats, crunches, and flys.
Easy, right?

Not so much.  I'd be dying from the cardio session if it weren't for the fact that I just finally got the a-okay from my ENT to swim.  For months, I've been waiting for my ear tube (from my previous ear problem) to fall out, and it's finally gone!  I can't walk uphill for 45 minutes without heaving like a sick horse, but I can swim like a fish for a long time, no problem.

Oddly enough, the loudest voice in my head encouraging me to finish these challenges successfully isn't my own.   It's Travis Pierce.  

Travis is a friend of mine from back home.  We both attended Surefire Boot Camp for several months, and when we attended class at the same time, he was usually the person that I would try to beat out.  Sometimes I did, and sometimes he cheated.... and occasionally, he would beat me honestly.  No matter where we were in the workout though, I could count on Travis to trash talk encourage me.

Now, whenever I need motivation at the gym, even though I'm hundreds of miles away, one of the first things that comes to mind is Travis, saying, "C'MON BREKKE!!  IS THAT ALL YOU GOT??"  So I push harder and fight longer.  The memory of him taunting encouraging me helps me keep going.

And although it will be quite some time before Travis and I can go head to head again at Surefire, when that day comes, I need to be ready.

Because I don't like to be the cheater.

So bring it on Travis.

See you "soon."

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, it's your chemo mom.....remember me telling you that it will take awhile before you feel 100%? I go with sentence #2, opening paragraph. Do what you can, girl & be grateful for that! You're far ahead of this old gal! LOL

    ReplyDelete