Aug 16, 2011

Cooking

This week I've gotten to cook a lot.  We're on food stamps for the time being and so when I was added to the account, Isaac gave me a dollar number with which I can experiment with cool recipes I find.  This month I decided to make Chicken and Seafood Paella, Blueberry Crumble with Cornmeal Almond Topping, and Fettuccine Chicken with Mixed-Berry Port Glaze.

I had a blast!  Cooking is something that I love to do that thankfully, cancer doesn't inhibit me from doing it!  Here are some pictures from my adventures.

Chicken and Seafood Paella:
Paella in the pan.  Isaac and I liked it, but we both voted that next time I should cook about half of the amount and use more chicken thighs and less seafood.

The plated paella served with fresh tomatoes and scallions on top.  We learned that a side of sour cream is pretty good as well and helps to mellow out the intense seafood flavors.
This is the little thing of saffron that was used in the stock.  You can't tell, but it's about the size of a half-dime--and it cost $11!  Thanks Aunt Bev!


Blueberry Crumble with Cornmeal Almond Topping:
I LOVE these dishes!  Thanks Ami Duvick!!  They are beautiful!!


Fettuccine Chicken with Mixed-Berry Port Glaze:
Isaac decided to play photographer this time.  Like my sweet apron?  Thanks Angie! :)  I was reading the recipe trying to figure out what I was going to change about it.  Originally it called for rabbit, which was too expensive, so I decided chicken would work just fine instead.  I'm still curious to see what rabbit tastes like though.  Someday.
Checking the demi-glace.  I had to Google it to see what exactly it was and how thick it was supposed to be.  The internet is awfully convenient when you don't know what you're doing!
The finished product!  Fettuccini chicken.  It was actually really good and Isaac and I both liked it quite a bit.  The meat was SO tender and juicy and it was kind of nice to have a sauce that wasn't cream based with the fettuccini.  Next time I make it, I hope to make the noodles myself.  Kim Brumm and I used to do it as an all-day project when we were younger, so I have experience with it and I love their taste and the fact that you can season them according to what you want!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I was just reading and looking at your dishes BTW, beautiful and you were wondering what rabbit tasted like... just like chicken and could be even a little more tender than chicken. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete