Aug 5, 2011

Salty Stare-Down

Today is Isaac's birthday.

I feel kind of bad because I really haven't been able to do much to help him celebrate it today.  I had chemo on Wednesday and have pretty much been asleep since then.  Even now, I will probably only be up for a couple of hours before I knock out again.

And to top that off, I was a bit mad at him earlier because he made me eat about a teaspoon of salt.

Yes, straight up salt.

I have extremely low blood pressure normally, and so when I don't ingest enough salt, sometimes I'll have blackouts when I change positions (such as from laying to sitting, or sitting to standing) because there isn't enough pressure in my veins to get things moving along quickly enough to adjust for the change.

Very rarely will I completely black out.  It has only happened once that I can remember--and it just so happened to be after my last chemo session.

It wasn't a huge deal... I can usually tell when they're coming and so I sit down or lay down until they're over.

Apparently that experience bothered Isaac, because he decided he didn't want to wait to see if it would happen again and decided the best way to prevent it would be to give me salt BEFORE I blacked out.

So today, as I was slowly waking from my chemo-coma, he came and stood in front of me with the salt shaker and a glass of water.

I was so angry.  I know that I need to take it, but I like to do it on my own time and not be babysat like a five-year-old.

And really..... who likes to eat salt?  Like, a small fist full?

Not I.

We had a stand-off for a few moments.  Me, not wanting to give in and just swallow the dang stuff, and he, not moving until I had.

He won.

I started liking him again a few minutes after the nasty stuff had washed all the way out of my mouth.

Really, I feel bad for him.  Who spends their birthday hanging around the house while their wife lays unconscious on the couch?  It's probably not how he preferred to spend it, but I'm thankful he did...

The upside of today is that someone in his family sent him a gift certificate, so he went to "spoil" himself with some Sonic.

Ah, the simple pleasures in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment