Aug 14, 2011

Bad Morning

Blech.

That is how I feel about Wednesdays.  Most people probably don't mind them, but I'm starting to wonder if after this is over every Wednesday will bring about a shudder for the rest of my life.  Or at least a few years.

The average person's Wednesday indicates the middle of the work week has finally arrived.  Mine marks a breakfast of chemicals followed by a three-day chemo-coma with a side of constipation, fatigue, heartburn, and just feeling plain old yucky.  The mind-body association that is developing enables me to almost vomit on command when I think about it.

I prefer to try my best to NOT think about it that often.  Is that mentally healthy?  I have no idea.  Does it make it easier to get through now?  I think so.  Will I regret that decision afterward?  Possibly.

Thinking about the future, I wonder if I'll even remember the summer after I got married.  I know I won't remember the summer part of it.  There's been no poolside basking this year, no driving around with the music blaring and windows down, no late-night movie premiers, the annual Florida trip, sunburns, tan lines, fresh sweet corn, grilled food, sand volleyball, the county fair, the Iowa State Fair, game nights, picnics, Iowa family evening walks, or outdoor Panera nights.  This year, the sun isn't something I feel, it's something I look at through the patio doors.

Moving to Michigan is partially to blame, but chemo takes responsibility for a lot of it.  The combination is emotionally desolating.

I'm having a hard time mourning the loss of what was my home.  I miss Ames.  I miss my Iowa family, my friends, my church family, my job, regular interactions with people I love, a small community with character, the comfort I felt there...

I don't know that I've ever had to mourn before.  I've lost things that I liked, but not anything I loved.  How does this work?  

I don't like to talk about it with Isaac because I have so many different thoughts.  I feel every single one of them all at the same time, but none of them seem to align with each other.  They don't even make sense half the time.

I'm sad because I feel alone and disconnected here, but I love being with him.  I'm angry because I feel like he dragged me here--but I said "yes" to marrying him, knowing I would have to move.  At the same time, I wouldn't change my decision to marry him because I love him and I know he had to drag me out here because of medical school.  I hate his career choice, because at this point, it seems it will dictate our lives.  Go to medical school here because you got accepted.  Do residency here because it's the only place that it's offered.  Live here because you have to pay off your student loans and we'll pay you best.  It seems like it will be ten or fifteen years until we even have options.

I've always heard that doctors are more prone to suicide, depression, substance abuse, and divorce.  Nobody ever suggested to read up on research on the rates for their wives.

I did, however, just stumble across a blog called Lives of Doctor Wives which has been insightful, encouraging, and discouraging at the same time.  Encouraging, because I can read what other women are doing to cope.  Discouraging, because it doesn't sound like it will end anytime soon.  Or ever.

I guess at the end of the day all I can do is hope for the best and work on it.  Whatever that means.






4 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley,

    I really struggled with transitioning after I got married too. Except I stayed in Ames and my ENTIRE family moved to Arizona. I still have familiar people and good friends here, but it was a hard transition fitting into the role of Mrs. Kelley rather than just Samantha. Youth group was different, some of my friendships grew distant, and even the way I view God is slightly different. Hang in there. Transition is always hard, but God promised never to leave us or forsake us. PS - I have been praying Habakkuk 3:16-17 for you since I started reading your blog a few weeks ago. You inspire me. Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    Last week while Lisa was cutting my hair, I asked how you were doing and she pointed me to your blog. I have been sitting here on the couch for about 2 hours now reading and reliving my journey 5 years ago.

    I had some of the same radioactive cocktails, anti nausea meds and even Neulasta. I know exactly how you are feeling and I want to reassure you that although things seem unbearable at times, it will get better. It may get worse before it gets better but it will get better. There will even come a time when you won't want to leave your "medical" family.

    I can remember a time when I was at my lowest and sitting in Dr. Pete's office and just bawling because of everything I was going through and they way I looked. He said I was probably going through a situation depression, one caused by my situation. He offered me some medication and it really helped. More than the medicine, a friend once told me you have to take care of yourself and think of yourself first. Sleep and sleep alot because what you feel is not tired but honest to God fatigue and the depression and emotions feed on the fatigue. You are the most important thing in your life right now. Do not feel selfish or lazy or unworthy.

    You will feel better and hopefully like me you will look back on your journey and believe, truly believe, it was a blessing in disguise. I hope to make it to your benefit and if you ever need anyone to talk to, to relate to please feel free to contact me.

    Feeling your every emotion,

    Melonie Spear (Shelbi's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about Fridays. I can't even think about it either. How many treatments have you completed now? I have #5 on Friday. I don't know how I am going to do it without feeling so so sick. I have tried so many things, but it is so different to manage each time. I just hope it is working. I had a PET scan last Thursday, but I don't have the results yet. I am hoping to only have 4 more treatments, but that is the best possible outcome. I know it could be a lot more.
    Stay strong! You are so right when you say that you will look back on this short short time in your life. It is only a tiny snip-it in an amazing lifetime. Before you know it, Isaac will be practicing, you will be a mama and life will be just what you always envisioned.
    I definitely know what you are going through and we will be so much stronger for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam-
    It's really weird when it all happens at once. I find myself comparing my life to that of a military wife a lot of times... It's definitely a struggle. Sometimes its many days at a time, other times it's just an isolated incident, but thinking about the whole thing just gets so confusing! I read those verses (which, I don't think I ever had before) and I really liked them! Thank you so much for praying for me.

    Melonie-
    If I remember correctly, you had breast cancer, didn't you? I might be dreaming that too. I'm not sure.

    To be honest, until lately I've never really believed that depression existed. I always just thought you had to change how your mind was thinking and then you'd be over it. I still think to a degree it's true, but it's a LOT different when you can't do ANYTHING about what is going on. Literally. Anything. It gives me a little more sympathy for people now, which is a good thing because I think I'd been lacking somewhat in that area.

    I talked to my doctor about it too because about a few days before chemo and for several afterward, I just felt so dang anxious. Especially if I thought about chemo. It instantly ties my stomach up in knots and just makes me feel awful. He gave me some Ativan to take. I haven't used it yet, mostly because I'm still having a hard time believing that there is nothing I can do about it on my own. I feel a little bit defective, since I can't even get a handle on my mind as well anymore.

    I've been working on the sleeping :) I'm doing pretty good at it, although, I find it hard to sleep when the sun is up. That does make it difficult at times. Isaac doesn't understand so much on that one. He can sleep anytime of the day. Me, not so much.

    Thank you for writing me. I think hearing from you has been one of the best things I've heard from a cancer patient so far--orobably due to the fact I've seen you afterward, have interacted with you before in person, and can see that you appear to be doing pretty well now. It's encouraging.

    Jodi-
    I've completed 3 treatments and have my 4th tomorrow. They seem to think mine is working, thankfully. I go in every week between chemo and they feel around for my affected lymph nodes, which have shrunk significantly. Kind of like you, I'm hoping that 4 or so more would be enough. Unfortunately, when I mentioned that at my last appointment, my oncologist made a particular noise that suggested it probably won't be that way. It's frustrating.

    What do you have problems with afterward each time? Mine seem to be fatigue, constipation, and nausea. He put me on Ativan for the nausea, but it makes me sleep so dang much. I guess it's better than feeling like I'm going to throw up all day, though. Plus, it's an anti-anxiety medicine, which in my case, means that if I can't calm my nerves before each time, I can use that to help settle down. I just feel ridiculous having to use a medication to calm myself.

    ReplyDelete