Jan 31, 2012

Oh Lawdy!

Whoooeeeeyyyy!!!!

It's been a while since I've had cramps at all, let alone cramps intense enough to wake me from a dead sleep.  But that's where I found myself at 4-something this morning.

The bummer about getting cramps in your sleep is that you're not quite conscious enough to realize why you keep waking up.  So the first four times that I woke up, rolled over, groaned, held my lower abdomen, and made my "that really hurts" face... well, they were relatively useless.  Thankfully the fifth time I started to realize what in the world was going on, and by the sixth, I decided to get out of bed to address it.

If snorting ibuprofen helped alleviate my pain quicker, I might have considered it this morning.

To my knowledge it doesn't, though, so I ingested them the ol' fashioned way.  Four of 'em down the hatch with a couple of long swigs of water.  Followed by a minute or two rummaging around in the bathroom closet trying to find the heating pad.

Boys probably don't understand this very well, but when you're rolling around on the floor, clutching your midsection because of you cramps, hugs don't make you feel better.  Kisses aren't very useful either.  As a matter of fact, almost any type of physical contact (and maybe this is just me) causes me to grit my teeth, clench my fists, and have a quick mental dialogue with myself about how hitting things doesn't actually make pain disappear.

The only consolation I seek in my moment of darkness is that of a drug that will eventually (hopefully 30 minutes or less) knock the pain out, and a heating pad.

And of course--a seat near an electrical outlet.



3 comments:

  1. Yuck! Praying for you this morning for relief quickly and a wonderful "cramp-free" day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Ashley - guys just don't understand. My husband will put his warm hand on my crampy side, but if he sees a shiny object, he's gone... I've had excruciating cramps since age 14. I think the closest analogy of our cramps is to twist his "family jewels", but I wouldn't advise it!

    Well, thank goodness there's Aleve, microwave heat packs and if all else fails....CHOCOLATE. While a Hershey's Kiss won't cure cramps, it may cure crabbiness! Wishing you a better day :) Andrea Gillett

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a dork!!! Just go eat a tub of Ben and Jerry's and all your problems will be solved!

    ReplyDelete