Jan 10, 2012

Sometimes It's Okay To Be A Creeper

Yesterday was crazy.  And by crazy, I mean intense.

The morning started off with me being so excited to job hunt.  I was optimistic about the possibilities, full of energy, and planning on making appearances at the stores since it seems that filling online applications out does close to zero good.

I called stores ahead of time to verify that they were hiring, did a few follow-up calls for some positions I'd previously applied for, and then took a shower, put my face on, and headed out the door to for some face time with prospective employers.  I applied at Teavana and Jimmy John's in person, and then both Lucy's Activewear and Bare Escentuals asked me to fill out the online applications and assured me they actually check them.

Regardless of how excited I was when I started, it didn't take too long for me to start feeling down-in-the-dumps.  I'm a 24 year-old intelligent college graduate who has years of supervisory work experience (not to mention some pretty good life experience) and here I am, running around competing with kids still in high school for jobs that pay slightly above minimum wage.

Welcome to Michigan, folks.

I've moved from the land of milk and honey to the dang desert.  I feel like surely manna has to start falling from the sky sometime... right?

To top it off, something, somewhere along the line triggered my homesickness.  Maybe it was running around town for a few hours and not seeing a single familiar face.  Maybe it was the song on the radio that Ike incessantly listens to.  Or maybe it was calling Jessica for a pep talk and realizing that no matter how hard I wished, she was still a ten-hour drive away from giving me a reassuring hug.

Either way, I started to cry on my way home from the mall.  And I was still crying when I got home.

I think Isaac thought there was something terribly wrong because I'm not sure that I've ever returned to the apartment from anywhere (except Iowa) in tears.  He was trying to figure it out and I told him it was my job search but thankfully he's insightful enough to know there was more to it than that.

He let me calm myself down a little bit while we talked.  Or rather, I cried and he sympathetically stared at me.  I finally thought I'd maybe beaten my tears when my phone rang.

It was my mom.  She apparently has awful timing.

So... off to bed I went, tears starting fresh again while Isaac graciously answered the phone for me.  He came in later to check on me, hugged me and snuggled me for a bit, and then left me to sleep it off.

Later on that night I was hanging out on Facebook being a creeper, like everyone on Facebook is, and all of the sudden, a chat box popped up on the lower right-hand side of my screen.  It was the homemade baby wipes girl.  Name: Lindsey Taber.

We had the opportunity to chat until I could barely hold my eyes open anymore and lots of cool things were revealed along the way.  Let me just brief you on it.

For starters, she is a fellow Iowan.  That in itself is huge.  I love Iowans.  Secondly, her husband is in the medical field.  He is doing his residency at Henry Ford Macomb, which is where Isaac will be doing his round starting June/July-ish this year.  Again, lovely.  Next, she loves God.  That is bigger than the other two combined, so far as pluses go.  And yes, it CAN get even better.  We started talking about church and guess what?  They go to the same one we do!  At the same time!!  And then I was creeping on her profile even more after we quit talking, and realized she went to TSPA too!

The random conversation I creeped on that instigated said random message.  I was originally creeping because her baby looked exactly like the daughter of the family I interviewed for on Saturday.
Gravy sakes!!  Can it even get any better?  I'm not sure that it can!

The entire time we were chatting I was sitting, staring at my computer completely enthralled.  I was beaming from ear to ear and probably looked like a fool and occasionally Isaac would look over and giggle at me because I was giggling for absolutely no reason, other than the fact that I was SO happy God sent another Christian female my way.  Or rather, He momentarily provided me with the balls to randomly message someone I had Facebook creeped on simply because they lived close and were from Iowa.  Regardless of how you want to look at it... I was giddy!

Around midnight I went to bed, completely emotionally wasted.  I felt like a tractor had dragged a field cultivator through my brain and my body was just as tired from our intense week at the gym so I knocked out pretty quick.  And I'm pretty sure I slept like a rock.

I am incredibly thankful that I have a Father above who so graciously looks out for me when I can't hold myself together any longer.  I was bursting last night because He lovingly provided me with another friend when I felt like a single paint drop in the chaos of an original Jackson Pollock.

My heart is smiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment