Sep 5, 2011

Yep. You're Jealous

Just thought I'd share some more of the cool aspects of chemo with ya'll.

The first is that I have a semi-permanent tan that won't cause me skin cancer.  The obvious "downside," (if we must call it that) is that I had to get a blood cancer in order to be prescribed the chemotherapy that causes this side effect.  Also, it's not exactly cheap.  Retailing for around $3000 per session, it's just slightly more than your average tanning bed session, but at least you don't have to soak in the extreme heat to get the same results.

Another is that I have no need for 5-hour energy.  I've seen a lot of commercials today (because I'm watching Spike TV's Star Wars marathon) and one that might have interested me pre-cancer would have been this particular energy drink.  Now, thanks to chemotherapy, I have no need for it.  When you're prescribed to get plenty of rest, it equates to a bounty of energy.  However, now, I'm more interested in the commercials for Lunesta.

We also use less water now--and actually, to be truthful, I didn't even use shampoo at all this week.

One bummer is that my bras bother me now.  It's kind of weird.  Girls, you can probably relate to me on this one.  Remember when you first started wearing them, how it just was awkward to have that pressure on your ribcage?  I don't know, maybe it was just me.  But I felt that.  And now I feel it again.  Except now it's to the point that it actually hurts.  Hopefully not because I'm expanding.  It could be though.  It's uncomfortable enough that I've started unsnapping it in the car on the way home from wherever because I just couldn't stand it anymore.  Like I said, it's odd, but it's real.

On the up-and-up, I get my scans this week!  I meet with the ENT tomorrow for them to check out my ear tube, which is probably broken if that's even possible, because I have that kind of luck.  Wednesday morning at 7:30 I go to get my Pulmonary Function Test done again to check and see how my lungs are holding up.  Then I have to essentially starve myself (no carbs or sugar) from the time I go in for my Pulmonary Function Test until midnight, then literally from midnight until 7:00am Thursday morning in order for my PET/CT scan to read correctly.  You'd think with all the snazzy technology we have they would figure out a way to do those things without tormenting people.  Whatever.  That's life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment