Sep 2, 2011

A Shi**y Way to Start the Day

Wednesday was chemo-day and I spent the rest of the day knocked out, trying to recover.  Yesterday, I can't remember (which should probably be a sign) but I think I was knocked out all day as well.

...And then there's this morning.  Mortifying is an appropriate adjective.

I feeling pretty good so when I woke up, I decided to update my calendar.  There I was, standing in front of my dry-erase calendar that I chart my life on: updating it with upcoming events such as birthdays, people I want to pray for, and Chavel's wedding.  As I was starting to erase some past events, I must have used a little too much uumph or something, because I had an accident.

Yes, an accident.  As in, I pooped myself.

Even more unfortunately, I had a pair of my husband's boxers on, which are fantastically comfortable for sleeping in, but don't catch things quite the same as feminine undergarments.  A spot of heat hit my left inner ankle and I glanced down to see a brown-ish dot starting to sag downward toward the floor.  Realizing that what I thought happened actually HAD, I immediately ran to the bathroom to check the damage and debate whether to wash or toss.  The boxers were actually pretty well protected from the damage, but I couldn't imagine Isaac ever wanting to wear them again.  I debated a couple more seconds.  To the garbage they went.

After cleaning myself up, I armed myself with a soapy wet paper towel and made my way to the scene of the crime, intending to nonchalantly clean the spot unnoticed and uninterrupted.

Wouldn't you know, that's not how it went.

"Ash, what are you doing?" asked Mom.

"Oh, just cleaning up a little spot."

"What happened?" she probed.  I sighed.


Can't it just be between me and the carpet....?


Chin tilted at an angle downward, I squared my jaw before looking at her and answering.  "I pooped myself, okay?"  I'm sure I was shooting daggers at her.

"Oh honey..." I could hear the laughter being held back in her voice as she switched into mother mode.  "Where did you put them?"

Embarrassed, I nodded toward the bathroom.  "In the garbage."  Things were awkward enough as it was and I couldn't imagine my MOTHER digging in our garbage for my husband's now-soiled boxers, so I dove in after them myself.  I felt kind of like a dog unearthing it's buried treasure as I pulled them from the garbage.  Doesn't this normally happen after people hit 60-something?

"How bad are they?" she asked.  I unrolled and unfurled them for her to see.  She examined them with a practiced eye.  "Don't worry, I'll get a load of laundry started."

"What??  Don't we need to wash them by themselves?  Won't they get poop all over everything else?" I asked.

"No, no, no.  Just relax, don't worry about it.  I've got it.  Go take a nap or something."

I did.


And not only did she do the poopy laundry, she did ALL of our laundry.  I guess that makes it easier, because now Isaac will never know exactly which pair it was.  And really, if a person can't tell, can it even matter?

9 comments:

  1. Have you ever been so paranoid of getting constipated that you overdid it a bit on the stool softeners? I can only sit here and laugh as I recall the event and listen to Isaac's reaction to this post. He is ready to throw out all of his boxers that she could have possibly been wearing just in case. Of course, anyone that knows him knows how organized he is. He thinks he knows exactly which boxers were in his dirty clothes basket and which ones I washed today. He will figure this out by process of elimination. Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Process of elimination? *groan*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ashley. :) We've all crapped our pants at least once...some more then others.
    You've got a good momma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL at "anonymous"'s comment!!
    Ashley, I freakin' LOVE your honesty! Seriously! Thank you for being real with us - and for being able to have a chuckle over this sh!t (ummm... poop?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I can totally relate! One time I dropped the bomb 6 times in one night and I was out with family. I just learned to roll with it and carry lots of extra underwear.
    On a more positive note, I just found out I am in my 3rd month of remission. I pray you Ashley will hear the same good news very soon!

    Be Blessed!
    Garth

    ReplyDelete
  6. heheeheheheheh. Oh Ashley dear. Maybe you should start a series of "poop" stories because you seem to have lots of those to share ;) HAHA! You are so sweet. Thanks for letting us into your life- the good, the bad, the ugly, and the poop.

    In the meantime, thanks for the Christmas present idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley,
    This is Leah... Leah Seydel... old friend? Anyway. I just learned of your diagnosis and am sorry I didn't know sooner. I blame my lack of being on facebook, or my lack of ability to keep in touch with old friends. But I'm glad to have found your blog so I can keep up and be praying. It has already put me in my place, realizing my small inconveniences are really NOTHING to complain about. Thank you for your honesty.
    I've been trying to read old postings and catch up. Congratulations on your marriage! Isaac sounds like a GREAT husband, a gift from God!! :) Lots of Love & Prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry I laughed at this little story. I have my share of poopie pants story....one of which when we were moving to Iowa. My hubby loves me just the same and we all joke about the time(s) mom pooped herself! Among friends we call it the poopie pants club....so WELCOME TO THE CLUB! You are a fantastic woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi, this is Millie...to make a story short I had placed a comforter in the back seat of my car for my dogs and now it is in the garbage with my jeans and my underwear... the food in Ankeny did not agreed with me and I had to go home in Ames. While my sister drove I sat in the back on the comforter and asked God all the way back "WHY MEEEEEEEEEE?" and today I know... I just needed a story to tell you :)

    ReplyDelete