Sep 16, 2011

St. Jude's Give Thanks Walk

As quite a few of you may know, about a month after our wedding, on June 2 of this year I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  Thankfully, we had caught it early so the doctor thought I'd only be in chemotherapy anywhere from four to six months, followed up by a few rounds of radiation.  At that point, the diagnosis wasn't too daunting because we had no idea the impact it would have on our marriage, our spiritual lives, our finances, and our emotional selves.

In the beginning we had several trips to the ER, tubes in my ears, and a drug reaction, and I wasn't quite sure I wanted to make it through this treatment anymore.  However, with encouragement, prayers, and financial help from family, friends, and perfect strangers, I'm so happy to announce that the end is in sight and my last round of chemotherapy will be on October 12!  Thanks be to the God the healer, who is above all!

I've been wanting to get more involved in charitable things out here in Michigan, although finding out where to go has been difficult because of the limitations placed on me by my treatment.  This journey has led me to have more compassion for those who are hurting from cancer, and especially for affected children and their families.

That is why I am asking you to join me in participating in the St. Jude Give thanks. Walk., benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, on Saturday, November 19, in Des Moines, Iowa. By walking in this event, we can help the doctors and researchers at St. Jude find lifesaving cures for desperately ill children in communities everywhere. Together, we can raise money to bring hope to the patients and families that walk through the doors of St. Jude everyday in search of a cure. I hope you will consider joining me in supporting this event by joining my walk team or even forming your own.

St. Jude is one of the world's premier centers for the research and treatment of pediatric cancer and other catastrophic childhood diseases.  Research findings at St. Jude are freely shared with the global medical community.  St. Jude is the only pediatric cancer center where families never pay for treatments that are not covered by insurance, and families without insurance are never asked to pay.

That is why St. Jude needs our help.  I am asking you to help today by registering to participate.  Once you have registered, you will be able to create your personal fundraising web page, where you will be able to send emails to your friends and family to ask them to make a donation to support the lifesaving work done at St. Jude.

Take the first step and give hope to the patients of St. Jude.  
Visit  Ashley Hinton's Page and click Join My Team.  
Thank You, thank you SO much!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ashley for your courage, strength, and support of the kids of St. Jude! I can't wait to see you at the St. Jude Give thanks. Walk on November 19th! - Katie from St. Jude

    ReplyDelete