Jul 30, 2011

SCVNGR

Yesterday I went to hang out with a friend for a bit in the morning and then came home to find a card from my Aunt Bev in the mail.  Inside she had written a sweet note and sent $20 that she designated for "eyeliner, mascara, or ice cream."

Now, I must confess Aunt Bev... I broke the rules.

Isaac and I hadn't been out to eat in a while so we decided on Joe's Crab Shack and I though that crab nachos sounded yummier than ice cream.  They're so crunch and delicious--plus, they're smothered in crab meat, black bean and corn salsa, cheese, lettuce, and pico de gallo.  Heavenly.  I'd been craving them for a while, and thus donated my $20 toward our night out.

My yummy crab nachos!!!

While Isaac was getting ready for our date, I was searching for coupons on the internet, because although we had $20 toward our night out, coupons are always cool.  It turns out that Joe's works with an app called SCVNGR, where you earn points by taking pictures and commenting on things and then redeeming your points for coupons at Joe's.

For instance, upon arriving, you can "check in."  You've just earned one point.  If you're there with friends, you can "bump in," (tapping your phone against any SCVNGR friend's phone) and you both earn two points per person present.  Taking a picture of the building earns you another couple points, and commenting on your favorite combos and which type of crab legs you prefer, etc... can earn you even more points.  There are also additional "challenges" where you can earn more points.

One of these was taking a picture of your server.

The average person who had done this challenge shot a picture of their server while they were across the room; it's sneaky and discreet.  Instead of joining the ranks of other NORMAL people, my husband decided to play creeper.

Our server, Eryn, had just come up to our table and before she even had a chance to say anything, he held his phone up and said, "Can I get a picture of you?"

You should have seen the look on her face.  It was a mixture of confusion, mild entertainment, and a lot of just plain being creeped out.  I can't say that I blame her.  While I was absorbing her shock, Isaac, blind to her facial expression, held his phone up, leveled it, and snapped a shot.

The poor girl.  She stared at him for a second and then said, "Uh, can I ask what that's for?"  Instead of explaining he just mumbled something along the lines of, "It's for a scavenger hunt."

She nodded, probably still confused, and walked away after checking on our drinks.

I started laughing horrendously at the whole situation, remembering my own odd moments with customers at the B-Bops drive through window.  Isaac didn't seem to understand why I was laughing so I told him that she probably thought he was a creeper.

Thankfully she came back to our table later in the night and he ended up explaining a little more thoroughly what he was talking about.  The experience ended up getting us enough points to get a free appetizer, which was a good deal since I'd chosen to eat them as my meal anyway.

While browsing the challenges, I saw another "challenge" that I thought my brother would love.

Joe's serves a drink called a Sharkbite and whenever someone orders it, a server will call out, "Everyone out of the water, there's a shark!"  This particular challenge called for the customer to jump up, stand on their chair, and scream "SHARK!" while pretending there was a shark swimming somewhere in the floor.

I was kind of hoping that someone else in the building had the app and was planning on doing it, because although I think it would be entertaining to see, I'm not crazy enough to do it myself.

My brother, on the other hand, would probably do it without any reward of any type.

All in all, we came out pretty good.  We got a free entree and $20 of our bill was covered by Aunt Bev... I'd say that's a wheel of a deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment