Jul 23, 2011

This is A First

Along with many other "first" experiences that chemotherapy has provided, I can now add to the list a "head/stomach disconnect," meaning, I can no longer tell when I'm hungry.  I would have never thought this would be an issue.

In my pre-cancerous days, it was no big deal for me to sit down and eat at least four to six times a day.  I made sure it was healthy (for the most part), but I just really enjoy eating.

However, since second round of chemo, I have discovered that my brain no longer registers when my stomach is hungry.  I don't get that hungry feeling--very rarely do I even hear it growl.  All of the sudden, I'll just be completely sick to my stomach.

After the first day of this, around midnight, Isaac thought to ask me if I'd eaten anything.  Yes, I believe I had, I told him.  He proceeded to ask what exactly I'd eaten.  To my disbelief, I could only recall a taco and two slices of ham..... but I didn't feel hungry, I only had this sharp pain in my stomach.  If food was the problem, I should have FELT hungry before getting these pains. ...right?

I tried eating and I did seem to feel better for a couple of hours.  Then the pains were back again.  It took a few times of doing this for me to understand that my hormones were so off-whack that my body could no longer signal to me when was the appropriate time to eat.  Ridiculous.

So now, like a newborn babe, I have to set a timer for when I need to eat next.

I guess it just goes to show how fickle your body can be.

1 comment:

  1. How funny!! With my new drug, I have the same effect!! One of the side effects is that it's an appettite suppressant my snacking has stopped completely and rarely do I ever WANT to eat when it comes time. If I miss a meal, I'm not hungry, but I'll get sick to my stomach too until I eat something. My roommates are acting as "parents" and reminding me/forcing me to eat something even though I really don't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete