Jul 16, 2011

Fun-Filled Friday

Yesterday was probably the most exciting day I've had this week so far.  I spent the entire morning calling around to get deferment on my student loans, filling out hours worth of on line information to apply for disability, and trying to gather up the appropriate paperwork to apply for financial assistance from the hospitals that I've visited recently.

It's probably not the average person's idea of "fun," but for someone who went from being busy eighteen hours of the day to a professional couch bum, having anything to do falls into the "exciting" category.

Isaac and I also went to the beach yesterday with some of his med school friends, which actually contributed more to the fun factor than the paperwork.  This was the first time I'd met most of them and I was a little nervous.  I haven't had to make friends for several years now, and I'm really not even sure how that whole thing works anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I've made friends over the years just by being involved at Cornerstone, Bootcamp, Salon 101, and other things I was deeply rooted in... But how do you go about making friends when you don't actually DO anything?

I have no idea.

I'm not about to be the creepy person on Facebook or Skype who goes around adding people they don't know.  That's just weird.  

Anyway, they were all pretty sweet.  I got asked to join in on a game of soccer, which ended up proving to me that although I'd like to believe the chemo doesn't have any effect on my body, it really does.

The "field" was somewhere between a quarter and a third of the length of a true soccer field and the game wasn't really all that competitive.  Nevertheless, I was huffing and puffing like a 400-pound life-long smoker after maybe thirty minutes.  Sad day.  I honestly didn't even move that much.

We watched The Green Hornet last night, too.  It was horrible!  I was impressed that it wasn't littered with half-naked women, but the overabundance of swearing completely filled the "crap-o-meter" anyway.  Not to mention the complete absence of a well-developed plot.

Unfortunately, I thought The Green Lantern fell into the same category as well.  It might have actually been worse.  Sure, The Green Hornet was lacking quite a bit, but at least the action scenes were somewhat redeeming and the acting was so-so.  One of its biggest problems was that they tried to turn it into a comedy and miserably failed.

The Green Lantern, however, had a complete disaster of a storyline for someone who hadn't read the comic books, and the only person who should have gotten a paycheck for their acting was the guy who played Hector.  I'd definitely vote it an all-time-low for Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively.

I wouldn't recommend either.

The night ended with me going to bed "early" (around midnight) and Isaac staying up to watch some of his lectures online.  I dreamt of soccer and woke up this morning to sore legs--my cue to go to the gym later and work them out.  

Hopefully I'll get invited to play again sometime.  Maybe next time I'll drag an oxygen tank with me.  Who knows?  I might last longer that way...

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thoughts about both movies. But if you want a great thriller watch an older movie titled "Panic Room" should be on Netflix - Jody Foster and Forest Wither (sp) are great. Also "The Green Mile" has a great story and believe it or not "Hair Spray" is very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete