Oct 4, 2011

Radiation

The verdict is in regarding whether I'm going to do radiation or not.  

I struggled with this for a little bit, the reason being because I have read about the potential consequences of radiation long term.  Increased chances for breast cancer and lung cancer.  Possibility of mutations in my DNA, which consequently, could possibly be passed on to my kids.  Increased risk of heart disease.  Hypothyroidism.

I've kind of been wondering whether that's worth it.  I feel like I have to pick between two evils.  No radiation, and "they" say that the cancer has a much higher chance of coming back.  Radiation, and I'm intentionally increasing my chance of a different cancer or other health problem down the line.  It's kind of difficult to decide.

And I believe in an all-powerful, healing God.  So if He wants me to be healed without radiation, I will be healed.  And if, for some reason, the cancer is supposed to come back, it will whether I've had radiation or not.

But then there's this joke that I've heard.  It goes something like this.

A man is drowning in the ocean and prays to God to save him.  A boat passes by and offers to help him, but the man declines, waiting for God to do His thing.  A second boat comes by and offers to help him, but again, the man refuses, still anticipating rescue from God.

He drowns and dies.  When he gets to heaven, he asks God, "God, why didn't you save me?"  God looks at him and says, "What are you talking about?  I sent you two boats!"

I guess my struggle is in recognizing whether radiation is a boat or not.

Since there's no clear sign, einey-miney-miney-mo will have to do.  Just kidding.  Kind of.

For now, I suppose I'll pick radiation.  Hopefully I don't regret that by my fortieth birthday.

1 comment:

  1. I know all situations, people and EVERYTHING is different for everyone, but just yesterday I read a story of a woman that developed Breast cancer at 25 years old. She had Chemo, then radiation. And then got pregnant with her Daughter. Everything was perfect for them both. I believe this will be you.....It's all a test of faith, your faith in Him, in your own strength, your doctors and their knowledge, and your amazing support system.

    You got this.

    ReplyDelete